The key purposes of the network are to contribute to a thriving social entrepreneurship community in the Tropics by:
- Resourcing and supporting social enterprises, including via digital platforms
- Creating public awareness and providing information and education on social entrepreneurship to different stakeholders
- Advocating on relevant social entrepreneurship issues
- Forging partnerships for SE locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally
- Developing capacity and capability for SE, including training, sharing information, and learning
SENT believes that there is a range of issues and challenges that exist across the Tropics and that social enterprises and social entrepreneurship can promote positive change in these areas. We further believe that social and ecological value can be created, enhanced and sustained by using a market orientation while maintaining a clear focus on the primary social and ecological goals of social enterprises.
The network includes all those interested in furthering social entrepreneurship in the Tropics. Membership of the network will be very diverse, including social entrepreneurs, businesses, community organisations, government and all other stakeholders and champions of social entrepreneurship within the Tropics. This network will meet once in three months.
The steering committee will comprise of 6-10 members willing to provide executive and administrative support for the network. The network will identify key priority themes and the steering committee members will provide thematic leadership. It is envisaged that working groups will be established from the members of the network around each of the identified themes.
The Steering Committee of SENT provides direction and leadership working towards the strategic directions and themes identified by the network.
Membership of the Steering Committee will be limited to 10 people. Membership is selected through an expression of interest open to all SENT members. Membership includes one Chair, one Deputy Chair, and a number of Theme Leaders. The membership of the Steering Committee will be for a duration of two years, after which fresh expressions of interest will be called for from the network members.
The role of the Steering Committee will be to:
- provide leadership and direction in working towards the strategic directions identified by the network
- bring together working groups towards achieving the objectives of the network
- support the development and implementation of project plans in the identified project areas
- provide leadership and oversight to any projects that may be undertaken and working group activities
- provide coordination across the network
- review and make recommendations for any work undertaken by the network or by the working groups
- identify and manage risks to the network
- represent the Network at relevant forums.